Charles Francis Murphy (February 9, 1890 – May 22, 1985) was an American architect based in Chicago, Illinois.
2 Selected buildings
4 External links
Born in Jersey City, New Jersey, Murphy was educated at the De La Salle Institute in Chicago. His first job was as a secretary, joining the offices of D.H. Burnham & Company in 1911 and he was steadily promoted to become personal secretary to the architect Ernest Graham.
After Graham died in 1936, Murphy moved on to co-found the architectural practice Shaw, Naess & Murphy with Alfred P. Shaw and Sigurd E. Naess (1886 – 1970). Murphy had no formal training as an architect at the time. He was next part of Naess & Murphy. The practice was later renamed C. F. Murphy Associates and later Murphy/Jahn Inc. in 1983 when Helmut Jahn took over as president.
Murphy was awarded an honorary degree from St. Xavier University in 1961, and became a fellow of the American Institute of Architects in 1964.
Richard J. Daley Center (1965)
McCormick Place, Chicago (1970) convention centre rebuilt following a fire in 1967
J. Edgar Hoover Building (FBI HQ)
Miami Herald building (1960)
Heise, Kenan. “CHARLES F. MURPHY, CHICAGO ARCHITECT”.
Interview at the Art Institute of Chicago
Charles F Murphy death notice
Josephine Murphy death notice
Chicago Tribune article announcing firm name change